Welcome to By Heart and Hand's Blog...We are located in the Nashville area but work throughout the middle Tennessee area and are available for travel to other locations. We are a boutique style photography company that specializes in wedding photography as well as individual and family portaiture. If you like this little sampling of our work, please check out our website at http://www.byheartandhandphotography.com/.

We absolutely LOVE what we do! It is awesome to be able to share the excitement that accompanies such a happy time in people's lives. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your wedding or special event with you and see if we are a good fit. There are so many great photographers in the area that if for some reason we are unavailable or not a great fit, we are always happy to offer you a referral to some of our trusted friends! If you like what you see, shoot me an e-mail (info@byheartandhand.com) or give me a call (615-260-3093) and we can meet for coffee to chat!

Have a fabulous day!

Giving Back with the TJC: Mother of the Year

I believe in volunteering.  I believe in philanthropy.  I believe that when I give a small measure of my time and talent to the benefit of someone else, I am always richer for the effort.  Throughout my life, I have volunteered personally with numerous organizations.  When I started my photography business years ago, I carried this spirit of volunteerism over to my business as well.  Every year I look for a few opportunities where I can donate my photography services to a worthy cause...I like to mix it up so feel free to contact me if you hear of any opportunities I might be interested in!"It's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it." #quote #volunteers
I have photographed numerous events as a volunteer such as the Nashville Lupus Walk at Centennial Park a few years ago and the American Heart Association Walk in Nashville by Vanderbilt.  I may add some photos of some of those events later, but today I wanted to talk to you about my volunteer work with the Tennesssee Justice Center. 
 
Here is some information about the Tennessee Justice Center from their website (www.tnjustice.org):
 
TJC seeks justice for Tennessee’s vulnerable populations through the courts, in administrative proceedings and before legislative bodies. TJC addresses needs not met by any other agency and supports the work of other advocates for equal justice under law, both in Tennessee and beyond. We provide technical assistance to client groups, consumer advocacy coalitions and other social service agencies. The media and policymakers frequently rely upon TJC as a source of accurate and reliable information and analysis on legal matters and on public policies affecting the poor.
 
Every year around Mother's Day, the TJC honors mothers (and at least once a father) who act as advocates for their children and/or families.  They call them their "Mothers of the Year" and have volunteer photographers meet with the families and do a photo of them.  I turn mine in to a full fledged Family Photo Session and provide the family with a disc of images after the session.  TJC also provides the family with a print or two.  I think it is so great to honor these mothers in this way and I was so happy to participate in 2010, 2011, and 2012.  Unfortunately, due to a scheduling conflict, I was unable to participate in 2013, but I hope to help again this year!
 
In 2010, I met Jannie and her step mother, Lourdes.  We met in Murfreesboro and did a session with the whole family.  You can read more about the story of Jannie and Lourdes on the TJC website.  Here is a link to the 2010 Mother of the Year recipients website here...
 
 
 
Lourdes and Jannie posing in front of tree
Jannie and Lourdes
 In 2011, I met Stephanie and her son, Brysen, and the rest of their family and did a family photo session for them in Columbia.  They are such a cute little family and I was so happy I got to work with them.  You can read their story here...
 
 
 
Stephanie and family
Stephanie and Brysen and Family
 
 In 2012, I met with Sheila and her daughter, Chelsey (along with the rest of their family).  Chelsey was so sweet and had a great sense of humor.  She brought her pet Chihuahua, who she is clearly enamored with!  We met at a park near their home and it was so neat to see how Chelsey could enjoy the time outside with her family, thanks in large part to the special "stander" wheelchair that her mother fought so hard to get for her.  I was truly inspired by Sheila during our time together.  I got a glimpse into her life...even just the simple act of loading and unloading the wheelchair from her truck and getting Chelsey in and out of the truck was a job...one which she did with a smile on her face the whole time.  You can read more about their story here...
 
 
 
Spain family. Photo credit: Meropi Falkenburg
Sheila and Chelsey and Family
 I hope you take a moment to read the stories of these wonderful mothers and find out what the Tennessee Justice Center is all about.  
 
 



Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Copyright By Heart and Hand - 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.